Apama Advent Calendar — 03 Dec 2021 — Apama for domain experts
Many of the future tips behind the doors of this advent calendar will likely be more aimed at the IT (Developer or Ops) users, but we wanted to start by first showing how Domain Experts can gain business value through Apama Streaming Analytics.
What do we mean by “domain experts”?
Generally, someone who wants to solve a business problem using analytic models that transform or analyze streaming data, but who is not comfortable writing textual code. These people are usually specialists in their OT (not IT) field, and may sometimes be supported by others from an IT department. One example might be a expert technician from a company making automotive paint robots who needs to monitor and control the quality of their solution on a vehicle production line.
Our solution for domain experts is a capability we call the Cumulocity IoT Analytics Builder , that is powered by Apama. This visual web-based application allows the user to compose their streaming analytics model from a palette of predefined blocks . If this domain expert discovers that they need a particularly specialist block, then they would ask one of their IT colleagues to use our SDK to create a custom block and make it available in their palette. This allows the domain expert to focus on solving their business problem, rather than the underlying plumbing, and improve their time to value.
The Analytics Builder is available both in the cloud version of Cumulocity IoT, and also as a component of Cumulocity IoT Edge.
Below are are references to information to help you get started:
- View the Analytics Builder Fact Sheet
- A little more on that paint robot use-case
- A previous article here on Tech Community: Introducing the new Apama Analytics Builder
- Get started for free with a trial account for Cumulocity IoT in the Software AG Cloud: Cumulocity IoT
- Short Video Implementing no code analytics with Apama Analytics Builder (note that Analytics Builder is now part of the Streaming Analytics application in Cumulocity IoT, and not a separate application)
- Maybe watch this short but fun video from the “IoT with Smartphones” which is a taster for our Internet of Things Education Package
- Our full documentation (v10.11 at the time of writing) in HTML or PDF format.
What real-time business problem will you solve today with Cumulocity IoT Analytics Builder?
This is Day #3 of a short series of brief tips, tricks, hints and reminders of information relating to the Apama Streaming Analytics platform, both from Software AG as well as from the community.
This series of articles will be published Monday-Friday only, with the occasional weekend bonus.
Originally published at https://tech.forums.softwareag.com on December 3, 2021.